Raw pumpkin is a vitamin product that is often used in order to lose weight and to improve the body's health. To understand how great the benefits of a raw vegetable are, you need to study the composition and understand how the product affects the body.
Composition and value of raw pumpkin
An untreated orange vegetable contains a huge amount of nutrients. The pulp contains:
- ash and organic acids;
- ascorbic acid and tocopherol;
- thiamine and beta-carotene;
- potassium, phosphorus and sodium;
- magnesium, iodine and iron;
- vitamins B6 and B9;
- calcium and chlorine;
- pantothenic acid and fatty acids;
- pectins and vitamin A.
From the point of view of nutritional value, the composition is represented mainly by carbohydrates, they contain about 6.5 g. Proteins are present in a volume of 1 g, and the amount of fat is represented by only 0.1 g.
Calorie content of raw pumpkin
The orange vegetable is the basis of the most effective weight loss diets for a reason. The calorie content of raw pumpkin per 100 g is only 23 kcal, it is impossible to gain weight on the product.
Glycemic index of raw pumpkin
The glycemic indexes of raw and boiled pumpkin are not the same. So, for an untreated vegetable, it is equal to 25 units - this is a low figure, so diabetics can eat pumpkin pulp without fear.
As for the glycemic index of a cooked vegetable, it is as much as 75 units - it is necessary to use the processed pulp with great care.
Vitamin content in raw pumpkin
The benefits of raw pumpkin for the human body are largely determined by the presence of a significant amount of vitamins in it. They deserve more detailed consideration.
- Most of all, an orange raw vegetable contains vitamin A - about one and a half daily norms in 100 g. Vitamin A is responsible for vision, youthful skin and healthy hair, so the vegetable prevents the development of eye diseases and premature aging.
- Also in the pulp there are vitamins of the B subgroup, namely, about 0.5 mg of vitamin B3, about 0.4 mg of vitamin B5 and about 0.1 mg of vitamin B6. Another 14 mcg in the pulp is occupied by vitamin B9. All of these substances are extremely important for the healthy functioning of blood vessels, muscles and the nervous system; they protect the human brain and heart from degenerative processes.
- Vitamin C is present in the composition in the amount of 8 mg. Eating a vegetable is useful for the prevention of colds, it has a special value in the fall, when there is especially a lot of it on the shelves.
- The vegetable contains 0.4 mg of vitamin E. This component is responsible for the regeneration processes in the body, for cell renewal and the beauty and youth of the skin. Eating a vegetable is very useful for women interested in preserving youth.
In small amounts, vitamins D, PP, F and T are present in the composition. With regular use of the product, such a vitamin mixture contributes to the normal functioning of digestion, and also normalizes brain activity and serves as the prevention of sclerotic changes.
Which pumpkin is healthier: raw or boiled
Both raw and processed, the vegetable is of great benefit to the body.
- Raw pumpkin contains a maximum of useful components - vitamins, minerals, natural acids. Due to the high content of dietary fiber, it is a natural laxative; with the help of a vegetable, you can quickly get rid of constipation. The advantages include the low calorie content and low GI of raw pumpkin - you can use it both on a diet and with diabetes.
- At the same time, a boiled vegetable also retains a high amount of valuable substances; during heat treatment, only some vitamins are destroyed in it, for example, ascorbic acid. There is still a lot of fiber in the product, and boiled pulp is used to cleanse the body, but its laxative effect is not so pronounced.
In terms of low calorie content and percentage of vitamins and minerals, a raw vegetable is definitely healthier. But at the same time, boiled pumpkin can be consumed in large quantities, since it does not provoke bouts of diarrhea.
Why raw pumpkin is useful for the human body
The benefits of raw pumpkin are great. When consumed regularly in the diet, this product:
- helps to improve bowel function and get rid of chronic constipation;
- allows you to quickly cleanse the body of toxins and achieve significant weight loss in a few days;
- strengthens blood vessels and prevents the development of atherosclerosis;
- normalizes blood pressure;
- protects the liver from ailments and has a choleretic effect;
- improves the condition of the skin and hair;
- helps to fight vitamin deficiency.
Eating raw vegetables has a beneficial effect on the state of the nervous system. Orange vegetable helps to get rid of insomnia, raises body tone and improves performance.
Raw pumpkin is good for men, it promotes testosterone production and improves potency. Also, a raw vegetable protects against destruction and restores the liver, and also helps to fight inflammatory processes in the body.
The use of the product prevents the development of prostate tumors, which is especially important for men after reaching middle age.
The benefits of raw pumpkin for a woman's body are primarily in the dietary properties of the pulp. In less than a week on a pumpkin diet, you can lose several kilograms without any harm to the body.
Also, a useful product helps to get rid of insomnia, strengthens nails and hair follicles, improves skin tone and elasticity. Since the vegetable speeds up metabolic processes in tissues, it can be used to reduce cellulite. It is useful to use the pulp during menopause - it improves overall well-being and helps to level the hormonal background.
Is raw pumpkin good for pregnancy?
During the period of bearing a child, a pumpkin can bring tremendous benefits. First of all, it helps to cope with attacks of toxicosis and helps to eliminate excess fluid when edema occurs. Healthy pumpkin pulp helps relieve constipation, which often affects pregnant women.
The vitamin composition of the raw product is valuable not only for a woman, but also for a developing fetus. The beneficial substances in the composition contribute to the proper formation of the nervous system and brain of the baby.
Important! When using pumpkin during pregnancy, you must remember about its laxative properties and observe moderate dosages.
Can children eat raw pumpkin
Children can eat raw pumpkin after 1 year of life, earlier the baby's intestines will not be able to cope with a large amount of fiber. It is necessary to introduce a vegetable into the diet in small portions, carefully monitoring the reaction of the child's body, sometimes the orange pulp can provoke allergic reactions.
If the baby's body accepts the untreated vegetable well, the healthy product will serve as a reliable home remedy for childhood constipation and strengthen the child's immune system.
Attention! Since healthy pumpkin has a number of strict contraindications, it is imperative to consult a pediatrician before using it for the first time.
What diseases do you need to eat raw pumpkin
The benefits of raw pumpkin on an empty stomach will be for many ailments, it supports the body's strength and helps fight chronic diseases.
- The benefits of eating unprocessed raw pulp are diabetes. Unlike a cooked vegetable, raw pumpkin is very low on the glycemic index and does not spike sugar levels. The product helps diabetics maintain normal digestion, but, of course, it should be consumed in moderation.
- The raw product effectively detoxifies the liver. It is beneficial not only as a prophylaxis, but also in severe diseases of this organ - hepatitis and cirrhosis. The product promotes cell renewal and helps the liver to recover faster and return to normal functions.
- Raw pumpkin is one of the best weight loss foods. Due to its low calorie content and powerful cleansing properties, beneficial pulp contributes to effective and very rapid weight loss, moreover, it saturates well even on very strict diets.
- The vegetable brings benefits for colds and weakened immunity. For flu, colds and coughs, you can eat raw pumpkin with honey, the combination of these products will have a double effect. A useful product will quickly reduce the temperature, stop inflammation and activate the body's defense system to fight the disease.
Eating raw pumpkin is recommended for eye diseases, it contains a lot of beta-carotene, vitamins A and E. These substances are very useful for the health of the retina and contribute to its strengthening. A raw vegetable prevents the development of cataracts and myopia, helps to eliminate chronic eye fatigue, relieves dryness and burning in the eyes with constant work at the computer.
Another beneficial property of raw pumpkin is its strong diuretic effect. A raw vegetable will be of great benefit in case of a tendency to edema and will remove excess fluids from the tissues. At the same time, potassium, which is present in large quantities in the composition, will contribute to the dissolution of sand and small calculi in the kidneys and bladder. The product in its raw, unprocessed form is recommended for consumption even with such a serious disease as renal failure.
What are the benefits of raw pumpkin for weight loss
Raw pumpkin on an empty stomach triggers active metabolic processes in the body. The beneficial effect is that the digestion of food is faster, and the intestinal motility is more active. Thus, when raw pulp is consumed on a diet, the processes of cleansing the body are triggered - accumulated toxins and liquids are released, toxic substances are removed from the tissues that interfere with the healthy functioning of the body.
There are a lot of diet options - some diet regimes are designed for 7 and 10 days, according to others, you only need to eat a vegetable for 3-4 days. You can also use fasting days on untreated pulp - this is an option for instant and noticeable weight loss, since up to 2 kg can go away per day.
Advice! During the diet, it is advisable to combine raw pumpkin pulp with boiled vegetables and other products, while the recommended dosages should not be exceeded.
On average, the daily amount of a vegetable is about 500 g, if you eat too much unprocessed pulp, it will lead to upset stools.
Can raw pumpkin be harmful
The benefits and harms of raw pumpkin depend not only on the careful use of the vegetable, but also on the state of the body. An orange vegetable has some contraindications, which include:
- gastritis and ulcers during an exacerbation;
- pancreatitis - in the acute phase of the disease, pumpkin pulp will harm the pancreas and provoke increased pain;
- intestinal colic - useful laxative properties in this case will turn into harm to the body;
- allergy - if you have an individual intolerance to an orange vegetable, it is better to refuse completely.
With care, untreated pumpkin should be approached in case of diabetes mellitus. Despite the fact that the glycemic index of the product is low, healthy pulp in excess quantities can still damage the body.
Also, pumpkin can be harmful for tooth decay and sensitive tooth enamel. Organic acids in its composition are irritating, and after eating the pulp, you should thoroughly rinse your mouth.
Raw pumpkin is a product with pronounced useful properties, which has a high value not only for adult men and women, but also for children. Pumpkin pulp pleases with a pleasant taste and helps to lose weight, helps with chronic ailments and loss of strength - but it should be consumed in moderation so as not to cause accidental harm to health.