We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Among the agricultural requirements of any crop, weeding is an important point. This is due to the presence of a huge number of weeds that can drown out plants or become a carrier of diseases. Often, it is weeds that are the breeding ground for pests and parasites that annoy cultivated species during the growing season.
Every year summer residents observe more and more the emergence of new "green residents" on their plots.
One of these uninvited guests was the American weed. The homeland of the plant is America, so the popular name stuck. Seed supplies from other countries are very profitable. They expand the assortment and varieties of crops grown, but they also come across weed seeds from the same area. Thus, the weed "American" was brought in.
The plant also has a scientific name, which is known all over the world - small-flowered galisonga from the Aster family. Belongs to the group of annual spring crops.
Weed plant description
The homeland of the American woman is South America. Among the main characteristics it should be noted:
- Shade tolerance. Galisonga can grow not only in lighted areas and fields, but also in parks, gardens, almost any soil. Of course, fertile and loose soil with good moisture is more attractive to weeds.
- Fertility. The American weed is striking in its ability to reproduce. It is capable of producing up to 20 thousand seeds per season. However, their germination rate does not exceed forty percent and germination is difficult when the seed is planted at a depth of more than 2 cm. Therefore, the American weed compensates for this deficiency with its striking ability to grow in stems. Roots emerge from internodes. If the seeds get into the soil, then their germination persists for 10 years and does not depend on climatic changes (waterlogging, frost, drought). Seedlings appear in spring, throughout the summer season and in autumn.
- Vitality. Gardeners celebrate the unrivaled vitality of the American weed. The plant, even after being removed from the soil, is able to continue to live in the depths of the compost piles, lying on top of the ground and trapping moisture from the air with its leaves. Moreover, if there is enough moisture, then the American weed blooms and gives seeds while being among the weeded grasses.
These qualities allowed the American weed to become a formidable enemy of plantings in all regions. The absence of pests capable of destroying the American weed on Russian soils turned out to be very beneficial. He is not afraid even of aphids and fungal infections, which annoy almost all cultural plantings. In addition, galisonga suppresses common weeds in the regions - quinoa, Mary, sow thistle, woodlice. The only ones who are able to resist the invasion of the American woman are nettles and runny. Perennials with a powerful rhizome do not succumb to the invasion of the formidable American. Even mowing does not get rid of galisongs for long. Therefore, it is very important to know how to deal with the hardy weed.
Galisonga is a weed that grows up to 70 cm in height, with an erect stem and small white flowers.
The leaves have short petioles and a lanceolate shape. The flowers are female, hairy achenes, tetrahedral. The seeds of the American woman are carried by flyers over a long distance and are able to ripen on a torn plant.
Gardeners note the difficulty of weeding this weed. At the time of removal of the American, the roots are pulled out and a number of growing crops. This is due to the fact that the weed has a branched root system and penetrates into the roots of nearby plants.
Ways to resist hardy weed
With such a phenomenal American woman's ability to survive, gardeners are wondering about ways to control the weed. They are based on the biological characteristics of the weed plant. How to get rid of the settled American woman on the site?
Effective methods for dealing with an American woman include:
- Regular site inspection. This will allow you to notice the appearance of the American in time and take appropriate measures. As soon as the first young plants are noticed, they are immediately ruthlessly removed by the root.
- Mulching. Like any grass, the American woman needs light. Therefore, covering the free areas of the site with mowed grass, cardboard, paper or other mulching materials, you do not allow it to grow and multiply freely. Lawn grass helps a lot. At the site of the lawn, galisong spreads very little, so you should not leave a lot of free places on the site. Cover the ridges after harvest. Thus, you will get rid of not only American, but also other weeds.
- Weeding. Weed control is unthinkable without removing it. The American woman is recommended to dig up, not pull out. The remaining pieces of root sprout easily. This event should be held as early as possible, before the flowering of the American woman. If you miss this deadline, then this method of getting rid of the weed will be ineffective. The seeds will fall into the soil, and their mass germination will be ensured. But in this case, regularly weed out the malicious plants.
- Removal from the site. Even shredded weeds should not be put in the compost heap. It is impossible to trace the entry of seeds into the soil, so it is best to prevent this possibility. Mowing the galisonga is useless. This has a temporary effect, it is better to uproot and burn.
- Sowing siderates. The American very quickly populates empty plots. If it is not possible to sow lawn grass or you will need this area in the future for planting, then apply siderates. They perfectly nourish the soil, improve its structure, and provide nutrition to beneficial microorganisms and worms.
Additional recommendations include:
Do not get carried away with herbicides. Before planting cultivated plants, you can treat the initial shoots of the weed. But then the American quickly gets used to the effect of the drug. You will have to constantly change the herbicides used during the season, and the soil will be saturated with chemicals. Therefore, if the weed spread is small, apply a herbicide, and then rely more on agronomic methods of control.
If you visit an area infested with a malicious weed, thoroughly clean tools, shoes and clothing. Even a minimal amount of seeds will turn your plot into a new Galisonga home.
Important! Do not feed the weed to animals. Having passed through the digestive tract of birds or animals, the seeds retain their germination.
Many gardeners use galisonga for medicinal purposes and as a salad green. The roots of the weed plant contain polyacetylene compounds, the leaves contain flavonoids, saponins, inulin, tannins. Therefore, the use of American Galisonga for medicinal purposes is very widespread. It is used in the treatment of the thyroid gland, anemia, ascites, and helps with scurvy and stomatitis. It normalizes blood pressure well and stops bleeding.
Important! Self-medication is contraindicated in any case.
Without consulting a doctor, you should not use an American woman, even with stomatitis. Be mindful of your health.
In the photo - the life-loving galisong weed: