We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Gooseberries are native to Western Europe, the first description of the shrub was given in the 15th century. As a wild species, gooseberries are found in the Caucasus and practically throughout Central Russia. A large number of cultivars have been created on the basis of classic varieties. Gooseberry Yubilyar is a breeding variety obtained by cross-pollination of Houghton and Bedford. In 1965, the variety was entered in the State Register. The copyright holder is the South Ural Institute of Horticulture, on the basis of which the culture was created.
Description of gooseberry Anniversary
Zoned gooseberry in the Central Black Earth region. The Yubilyar variety is especially popular with gardeners in Siberia, the Moscow region, and the Urals. The plant is grown in the middle lane and in the south.
The photo above shows the gooseberry Yubilyar, the description of the variety is as follows:
- Tall shrub, compact, not spreading, formed by numerous shoots. Perennial stems are straight with drooping tops, grow up to 1.8 m long, the bark is smooth, tough, dark gray.
- The shoots of the current year are green, grow quickly, by autumn the color becomes light cinnamon.
- The thorns of the Yubilyar gooseberry are located along the entire length of perennial stems. Collected in 2 pieces, long, tough, with spiny tops, growing at an angle of 900.
- Leaves are opposite, five-lobed, with uneven edges, green. The upper part of the leaf plate is glossy, wavy, the veins are deepened. Lower with sparse pubescence.
- Small flowers, cone-shaped, green with an anthocyanin fragment at the base, collected in 1-2 pieces. in a leaf node.
- The berries are smooth with a thin waxy film, oval in shape, weight - 5-6.5 g.
- The peel is thin, firm, pink with a maroon fragment on the side where the berry is located towards the sun, with longitudinal light stripes.
- The pulp is yellow, with numerous brown seeds.
- The root system is mixed, the central part is deepened by 45-60 cm.
Gooseberry Anniversary forms heterosexual flowers, the plant is self-pollinated. Fruiting is stable, regardless of weather conditions.
Advice! The crops of varieties Russkiy and Kolobok planted side by side will increase the productivity of the Yubilyar gooseberry by 35%.
Drought resistance, frost resistance
The drought resistance of the Yubilyar variety is low, the lack of moisture is reflected in the growth of gooseberries. The yield decreases, the berries lose weight, elasticity, and the taste is dominated by acid. With an insufficient amount of seasonal rainfall, the Yubilyar gooseberry variety needs watering.
Gooseberry Yubilyar occupies a leading position among cultivars in terms of frost resistance. The plant resists a drop in temperature to -320 C, in case of damage to the shoots during the growing season, it completely restores the crown. If flowering occurs at the time of return spring frosts, the flowers remain at a temperature of -50 C, this feature is a priority when choosing a variety for gardeners of a temperate climate.
The culture produces single berries in the second year of vegetation, the peak yield reaches after 4 years of growth. The Yubilyar gooseberry belongs to the middle ripening period. The shrub blooms in the second half of May. The fruits reach biological ripeness at the same time. The crop is harvested at the end of July. Fruiting is stable, with timely watering and feeding with 1 unit. take up to 5-6 kg.
On the stalk, the berries of the Yubilyar variety hold tight, after ripening the fruits remain on the bush for a long time. Gooseberries are not prone to crumbling and baking in the sun. At low temperatures and excess moisture, berries may crack.
The taste characteristic of the variety's berries according to the tasting 5-point system is estimated at 4.8 points. The berries are sweet, juicy, not cloying, the acid concentration is negligible. Gooseberry Yubilyar is universal in application. It is used to make fruit purees, jams or preserves. They are eaten fresh, the fruits completely retain their chemical composition and taste after freezing.
The peel of the fruits of the variety is thin, but strong, well resists mechanical damage during transportation or mechanized harvesting. Gooseberry Anniversary is suitable for cultivation on farms, for commercial purposes.
Important! The harvested crop at a temperature of +180 C and 85% air humidity is stored for 7 days without loss of density and weight.
Advantages and disadvantages
Gooseberries Yubilyar have been grown for more than 50 years practically throughout the entire territory of the Russian Federation. The variety owes its popularity to a number of advantages:
- stable, high fruiting;
- frost resistance optimal for the culture;
- transportability, long shelf life;
- berries with good taste, do not bake or fall off after ripening;
- resistance to viral and fungal infections, the variety is rarely affected by anthracnose;
- easily multiplies, 100% rooted on the site;
- long fruiting period - 15-18 years;
- simple agricultural technology.
The disadvantages of the Yubilyar gooseberry include the presence of thorns and average drought resistance.
The Yubilyar variety is propagated only in a vegetative way - by cuttings or layering. Layers are obtained in the following way:
- cuts are made on one or more branches close to the ground;
- dig a shallow hole;
- they lower a branch into it, fall asleep;
- watered during the season, do not allow the soil to dry out.
By autumn, the roots will form in the section, for the winter, the layers are insulated. In the spring, the rooted areas are cut with pruning shears and planted. This method is considered the fastest and most optimal.
Cuttings are harvested in early June from stiff perennial branches or last year's stems. They retreat from the top by 40-50 cm, take cuttings 20-25 cm long. The cut is treated with a manganese solution and placed in a fertile substrate.
In spring, the material will form leaves and give shoots, in autumn it can be planted. As an example, below in the photo is a gooseberry seedling Yubilyar, grown independently from cuttings. Planting material with a sufficiently green mass and a formed root system is completely ready for placement on the site.
Planting and leaving
For the gooseberry, the Yubilyar is given a place well-lit by the sun, the plant does not tolerate even slight shading. In the shade, the plant stretches out, the flowering is rare, the yield is low.
Soils are neutral or slightly acidic, light, moderately moist. Lowlands and areas with close groundwater are not considered for planting. A seedling is taken at 1-2 years of age without damaging the roots and bark on the stems. They are planted in the spring before the buds swell, in the fall - approximately in September. Before placing in the ground, the shoots are cut to a length of 15-20 cm, 5 fruit buds are left on them. The roots are dipped in the preparation "Bud" or "Kornevin" for a day.
Planting gooseberries Anniversary:
- Dig a planting recess, on light soils, the diameter is 55 cm, on heavy soils - 75 cm, depth - 65 cm.
- Gravel is poured onto the bottom with a layer of 15 cm.
- The soil removed from the pit is mixed with humus, peat and compost, if the soil is heavy, sand is added. 4 tbsp is added to the bucket of the mixture. l. nitrophosphate, 2.5 tbsp. ash and 60 g of "Agricola".
- Cover the drain cushion with the mixture about 15 cm.
- The seedling is placed in the center, the roots are distributed along the bottom, covered with part of the mixture so that there is no empty space left from root to wall.
- The pit is filled with the rest of the soil, compacted, watered abundantly.
Important! The root collar is deepened by 6 cm.
After planting the gooseberries, the trunk circle is mulched with peat or compost.
Gooseberry variety Yubilyar is a perennial plant, so that the yield does not decrease, the crop needs appropriate agricultural technology, it includes the following activities:
- 21 days after the spring planting, the gooseberries are fed with urea. Nitrogen fertilizers are applied every spring up to 3 years of growth. The following years, before the buds swell, plantings are fertilized with nitrophos, after flowering - with potassium sulfate, during the ripening of berries - with humus mixed with ash.
- Water the gooseberry as the soil dries up in the evening, it is undesirable to sprinkle the bush, water it only at the root.
- Garter bush of this variety is not required, the stems fully withstand the weight of the fruit.
- The formation of the bush begins immediately after planting the gooseberry, when the shoots are shortened. The next season, 6 strong stems are left, the rest are disposed of. After a year, add another 5-6 branches, by 4 years the bush should be formed by 10-12 shoots.
- Pruning is carried out in the fall at the beginning of September. In the spring, frozen and deformed stems are removed from the gooseberry, dry areas are cut out.
The high frost resistance of the Yubilyar variety allows gooseberries to winter without shelter. In autumn, the shrub is spud, mulched with peat, and covered with dry leaves or sawdust on top. To prevent the branches from breaking from the snow, they are pulled together with a rope. Chemicals from small rodents are spread around the gooseberry.
Pests and diseases
Gooseberry variety Yubilyar is rarely sick. With high air humidity and non-compliance with the requirements of agricultural technology, the bush is affected by powdery mildew. To eliminate the fungus, use "Topaz", for prophylaxis, gooseberries are treated with a solution of colloidal sulfur.
Gooseberry sawfly caterpillars parasitize on the gooseberry Anniversary. Get rid of insects with Iskra. In spring and autumn, the trunk circle is loosened.
Gooseberry Anniversary is a fruitful, tall plant, unpretentious in care. A shrub with a compact crown and a high level of frost resistance is grown in areas with cold winters. The berries of this variety are large and with good taste, juicy, universal use. Long shelf life and good transportability make it possible to grow the Yubilyar variety for commercial purposes.
Raisa Ilyina, 36 years old, Volgograd region
Gooseberry Anniversary has been in my garden for over 7 years. The culture of the variety is high, it grows quickly. I noticed that more berries are formed on young 3-year-old shoots, they are larger than on old ones. Therefore, every year I rejuvenate the shrub, remove several of the oldest branches, thus maintaining the yield at the same level.
Zinaida Rudenko, 52 years old, Moscow region
At the dacha, she was one of the first to plant several gooseberry bushes of the Yubilyar variety. I harvest up to 6 kg every year, regardless of the weather. To keep the gooseberries from getting sick, I spray all the bushes with colloidal sulfur around the end of May. The only negative, the Yubilyar variety has thorny thorns along the entire length of the shoots. But this nuisance is fully compensated by the taste of large bright berries.