We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
A beautiful green lawn is the hallmark of a personal plot, and how annoying it can be when annoying weeds grow through the green grass and spoil the entire appearance of the landscape. You can control weeds on your lawn mechanically or using a chemical called a herbicide. This lawn weed killer is highly effective, easy to use and has some other advantages. Information on what types of lawn herbicides are available and how to apply them correctly can be found in the above article.
What are herbicides
For many people far from agriculture, the word "herbicide" is completely incomprehensible, and the remedy itself is not used very often in everyday life. This word is translated from Latin as "to kill the grass." The substance is a chemical that kills weeds. It can be used to protect vegetable ridges and lawns from unwanted vegetation. On an industrial scale, herbicides are used to treat agricultural fields, slopes of railway and highways, and areas adjacent to enterprises.
According to the principle of influence on vegetation, herbicides are subdivided:
- Selective or selective spectrum herbicides. They are capable of destroying all types of plants with a specific trait, such as broadleaf grasses.
- Continuous spectrum herbicides destroy all vegetation in the treated area.
Lawn weed control can be done with these two herbicides. The way they are used and the principle of action are different, so you need to know and understand how to deal with weeds on the lawn will be one or another chemical.
Important! Working ants in the process of their vital activity secrete acid, which is a natural selective herbicide and destroys all greenery with the exception of trees of the Duroya genus.
Long-distance weed control
Proper cultivation of a lawn with pre-treatment and proper soil preparation will allow you to get a beautiful green lawn and not think about how to remove weeds at an early stage of crop maintenance. It is necessary to prepare the soil in advance, about 3-4 months before the expected sowing of lawn grass. For this pretreatment, continuous herbicides are used.
The work technology is as follows:
- initially you need to mark the personal plot, determining the place of the lawn;
- after marking, the future lawn is abundantly watered with a continuous chemical. About a week after treatment, the existing vegetation will begin to dry out, and after another week, the site will need to be dug up, weeds and roots remaining in the soil will need to be removed;
- loose soil is tamped a little and left in this state for a month, during which the weeds remaining in the soil should appear;
- after the germination of a new crop of weeds, the soil is watered again with continuous herbicides and after a week the dry remains of vegetation are removed;
- the chemical acts on plants for a month. Only after this time can you start sowing lawn grass, which will germinate without weedy "neighbors".
It is recommended to process the lawn before sowing grass using the above technology in early spring or autumn, starting in September. Treating the lawn in autumn allows you to reliably clear the soil from weeds before the appearance of snow cover, and with the arrival of spring, sow grass seeds into the soil without chemical residues.
Important! Some herbicides retain some of their activity even 2 months after use, destroying lawn grass sprouts.
Green lawn care
By sowing lawn grass in prepared, cleaned soil, you can get a high-quality, leveled lawn, however, you can preserve its beauty and health only if you follow certain care rules:
- Mowing the lawn is a must. It allows you to improve the planting of grasses and mow weeds. Annual weeds, with regular mowing of the lawn, do not have time to form flowers and sow seeds, which means that next year there will be no "harmful neighbors" on the site. It is recommended to mow young lawn grass for the first time after the height of its leaves exceeds 7 cm. Subsequently, the event should be carried out regularly once every 2 weeks.
- Raking the lawn reveals and eradicates undersized curly weeds that are below the mowing level. Such weeds can be, for example, bindweed or wood lice. It is to combat climbing and climbing grasses that the owners of the backyard plots comb the lawn not only after working with a trimmer in order to collect the remains of vegetation, but also after mowing the grass with a lawn mower.
- Most perennials have a deep, highly developed root system and it is not always possible to fight them by mowing and combing the lawn. So, it is especially difficult to remove dandelions, thistles or plantains from the lawn. You can fight these enemies mechanically by manually removing plant roots. To do this, you can use special garden tools to remove weeds. It will get rid of unwanted vegetation with minimal damage to the lawn grass. Mechanical control is good only if the amount of weeds is small.
- Moss often infects areas of the lawn in the shade of trees or in low-lying areas. Damp weather can also provoke their development. The spread of moss should be controlled by aerating the soil. It can be done by piercing the lawn with a pitchfork. Liming and fertilizing the soil will also help prevent the spread of moss on your lawn.
- With a large amount of weeds, it is recommended to treat the lawn with selective herbicides. Chemical treatment will take little time and will show high efficiency in weed control. The names and photos of selective and continuous herbicides can be seen below.
Over time, the amount of weeds on the lawn will constantly increase. This is due to the fact that there are a large number of seeds in the soil, which strive to germinate and shade the green grass. Therefore, in the first year of growing a lawn, you can do only with the methods of mechanical destruction of weeds, but over time it will become more difficult to deal with them. Lack of measures for the destruction of weeds will lead to the complete displacement of cultivated vegetation. That is why, over time, the use of selective herbicides becomes more and more relevant.
Important! Weeds on the lawn can be destroyed with herbicides pointwise, without spraying the chemical over the entire area, but by injecting the substance under the root of the plant.
As it has already become clear, herbicides of continuous action destroy all vegetation on the lawn, which means that they can be used only during the preparation of the soil for sowing grass seeds or to destroy old plantings. The most effective and safe, from the point of view of ecology, continuous herbicides are:
This chemical is glyphosate in water. The drug is produced in ampoules with a volume of 5 to 1000 ml. Use a substance for spraying the plants with a solution prepared on the basis of water. Depending on the exact name, the drug "Tornado" is diluted in accordance with the instructions.
After using the Tornado herbicide, all vegetation on the lawn will be destroyed in 3 weeks. The drug itself will remain in the soil for 2 months.
The Tornado herbicide can be applied at any air temperature and weather. At the slightest hit on the leaves of a plant, it penetrates deep into the root, gradually destroying it. With the help of the Tornado herbicide, you can get rid of not only weeds, but also shrubs and tall trees. The chemical is used in the agricultural industry, since the absence of toxicity makes it possible to sow vegetable crops as early as the next year after processing the fields. If necessary, the Tornado herbicide can be stored for 5 years. Analogs of "Tornado" are drugs "Glysol", "Urogan", "Agrokiller" and some others.
Important! Glyphosate in 2015 was recognized as a "possible carcinogen", so it is not worth using it to cleanse the soil for cultural planting.
This herbicide is based on the substance of the same name - diquat. It is safe for the environment and humans, and can be used for continuous mowing of grasses for sowing cultivated plants. The chemical is used to spray plants at a temperature of + 15- + 250C. Acts on plants immediately after contact with green leaves or soil. You can see the result of processing in 4-7 days. Air temperature and humidity can affect the drying time of grasses.
Removal of weeds from the lawn is carried out by spraying with an aqueous solution of the herbicide. Once on grass leaves, diquat is synthesized into hydrogen peroxide, which destroys plant cells and dries them out. The chemical decomposes quickly and does not harm insects or soil microflora.
Continuous herbicides can be used before sowing lawn grass or to remove all lawn vegetation on the lawn. If it is decided to develop land on the site of the lawn for the subsequent cultivation of cultivated plants, then it is preferable to use a less toxic preparation that will not damage the quality of the grown vegetables and berries. "Dikvat" for such purposes is the best option, however, its disadvantage may be a relatively low efficiency in the fight against weeds.
An overview of some other effective herbicides of continuous and selective action can be seen on the video:
How to kill weeds on the lawn without damaging the delicate green grass? This is the question that many land owners are puzzled about. And the answer in this case can be only one: you need to use selective herbicides. Among these chemicals, the following drugs are highly effective:
The active ingredient of the drug is clopyralid, a hormone that restricts the growth of weeds and destroys them. The drug is highly effective against annual and perennial weeds, including dandelion, sedge, plantain.
It is necessary to use the herbicide after mowing the lawn in the early morning or after sunset. The substance is applied by spraying onto the aerial part of the plants. The substance is quickly absorbed, and you can see the result on the treated weeds after 2 weeks.
Treating the lawn from weeds with "Deimos" allows you to remove the hated broad-leaved plants. The spectrum of action of this drug allows you to eradicate at once about 100 different types of weeds. Weeds such as wood lice, clover, dandelion and others cannot resist him.
The active ingredient of the drug is dimethylamine salt, which is safe for plants and humans. Once dissolved in water, the chemical is used to spray the lawn. After 2 weeks, the weeds will dry out and will no longer spoil the green lawn. They can be removed mechanically without much difficulty.
This lawn herbicide is relatively new, but has already gained widespread popularity due to its high effectiveness against many weeds. The active substance of the chemical penetrates through the leaf blade of the plant and blocks its growth. As a result of this effect, within a week the weeds turn yellow and dry out, while the lawn grass remains healthy.
The listed herbicides for the lawn against weeds of selective action are characterized by high efficiency and environmental safety. They can be used to treat lawns, including playgrounds, parks, home gardens. Their safety is confirmed by the fact that they can be used not only to remove weeds from the lawn, but also from the ridges with vegetable and berry crops.
You can see the process of treating a lawn with selective herbicides in the video:
Important! Herbicides are hazardous substances and must be handled with personal protective equipment.
Killing weeds on your lawn with herbicides is an effective and relatively easy way to care for your vegetation. Herbicides are used from the moment the soil is prepared for sowing lawn grass seeds until the lawn is completely destroyed. For the complete destruction of herbs should be used herbicides "Tornado", "Dikvat" and some of their analogues. These chemicals will quickly deal with all the vegetation on the lawn. In the first year of growing the lawn, single specimens of weeds can be found on the green surface. They can be destroyed mechanically or by a point injection of a herbicide under the root of the plant. In case of mass spread of weeds, it is recommended to use selective, selective herbicides, which will destroy the weeds, but will not damage the green soil cover. The specific choice of how to treat the lawn from weeds depends on the financial capabilities and preferences of the landowner.