Correct smoking of crucian carp in a hot smoked smokehouse is a way to serve an unusually tasty dish to the table; after such processing, the fish acquires an amazing aroma and a beautiful golden brown color. It goes well with fresh vegetables, potatoes, and can be used to prepare various salads. Crucian carp is very tasty immediately after smoking, as well as on the second and third day.
Ready fish cannot be stored for a long time.
Is it possible to smoke crucian carp
Smoking is one of the most delicious ways to cook crucian carp. People have been using it for centuries. It has long been known recipes with the addition of all kinds of seasonings: oregano, thyme, mint. And in Russia a dish called "Smoked Matryoshka" was famous, when a smaller fish was put into one large fish, then even less, and so on, until the smallest fish. In this form, they were smoked and served at the table. Smoking crucian carp is still popular today, especially among fishing enthusiasts.
Principles and methods of smoking crucian carp
The snack is easy to make with your own hands. This will require a smokehouse. There are several cooking methods: cold, hot, with liquid smoke. You can smoke fish with any of them. But first you need to prepare all the necessary ingredients. You should always have the following spices on hand:
- coarse salt at the rate of 100 g per medium-sized crucian carcass;
- ground pepper.
A video of an appetizing hot smoked crucian carp will help to carry out the process without errors.
At what temperature are carp smoked
When hot processing fish, the smokehouse must be heated to a temperature of +65 degrees. When the unit is brought to this level, the carcasses are laid out on a baking sheet or on a wire rack.
How long does it take to smoke crucian carp
The duration of smoking depends on the size of the fish. Carp is smoked in a hot way for 30-40 minutes. In the process, it is important to open the smokehouse hatch from time to time so that the smoke can escape. Otherwise, the taste of the dish becomes bitter, and the carcasses acquire an unappetizing dark shade.
Important! Experts advise choosing the hot smoking method for the preparation of large individuals. If they weigh more than 1 kg, an incision should be made on the backrests so that the processing goes evenly.
The benefits and calorie content of the product
Fish is rich in vitamins, minerals and amino acids. It contains:
- vitamin A;
- vitamin E;
- vitamin C;
- vitamins B1 and B2;
- vitamin PP;
Due to the fact that meat is saturated with proteins and Omega-3 acids, it is easily absorbed by the body and is not deposited in the form of fatty deposits. This product is dietary. The number of calories depends on the cooking method. So, if there are only 87 of them in 100 g of fresh fish, then the calorie content of hot smoked crucian carp is 139.
This fish breed is useful at different ages and for any disease, with the exception of phenylketonuria and gout. It is suitable for those who are struggling with excess weight, adhere to a healthy diet. The product has many useful properties:
- Improves the condition of hair, nails, as it is rich in calcium.
- It has a beneficial effect on mucous membranes and on the skin.
- It has a positive effect on digestion.
- Provides the body with proteins.
- Since the composition contains a large amount of phosphorus, it strengthens bone tissue.
- Stimulates blood circulation.
- Normalizes the work of the thyroid gland and the endocrine system as a whole.
Only fish caught in polluted waters can be harmful
Advice! Baked or stewed vegetables go well with smoked carp. They are laid out on a dish, alternating with large fish slices.
Selection and preparation of crucian carp for smoking
You can choose a fresh product according to the following criteria:
- pink or reddish color of the gills;
- clean, shiny scales;
- transparent, clear eyes;
- elastic and resilient pulp, on which, when pressed, no pits and dents remain.
For hot smoking it is necessary:
- Remove the insides by making an incision in the abdomen. Leave the scales, tail, fins and head.
- Rinse the carcasses in running water.
- Place on a wire rack to allow excess liquid to glass.
Advice! If you do not remove the head and tail before smoking, the juice will not leak out during cooking, the dish will be more fatty and tasty.
How to salt crucian carp for smoking
To salt crucian carp for hot smoking, salt must be combined with pepper, and this mixture must be grated on the outside and inside. Since the meat will not absorb excess seasonings, you can not be afraid to overdo it with them.
The fish can be additionally soaked in a salt composition. To do this, dissolve 6 tbsp. l. salt in 3 liters of water. Then follow these steps:
- Place in a bowl.
- Pour the prepared solution.
- Press down with oppression from above.
- Leave in the cold for 2-3 hours.
Then the carcasses should be washed off, hung in the fresh air for an hour so that they dry out and wither.
How to pickle smoked crucian carp
You can prepare a marinade with spices that give the meat new flavors. For 2 liters of water, the following ingredients are required:
- salt - 300 g;
- sugar - 1 tsp;
- bay leaf - 2-3 pcs.;
- black pepper - 4-5 peas.
Crucian carp is marinated for 2-3 hours, then soaked in water for the same amount of time, dried in the fresh air. Due to the sugar content, fish fibers are well impregnated, and an appetizing golden crust appears on the finished product.
How to smoke hot smoked crucian carp
Hot smoked crucian carp turns out to be very tender and juicy. It takes no more than 1.5 hours to prepare it. Experienced chefs advise checking the readiness of the dish by the fins. If it is easy to separate them from the carcass, then the fish is ready to eat. But you can't get it out of the smokehouse right away. So that it does not fall apart into separate pieces, it must be allowed to cool.
How to smoke crucian carp in a hot smoked smokehouse
It is not difficult to cook hot smoked crucian carp. Need to take:
- 3 kg of fresh fish;
- 100 g coarse salt;
- ground black pepper to taste.
Recipe for smoking hot smoked crucian carp in your own smokehouse:
- Prepare fish carcasses (gut, rinse).
- Mix pepper and salt, grate crucian carp.
- Wash off excess salt, dry.
- Take alder sawdust.
- Place a pallet over the sawdust to protect it from dripping juice and grease. Otherwise, the dish will taste bitter.
- Put a lattice with crucian carp on top. It is best to arrange them so that the incisions are facing up. This conserves the juice.
- Cover the lid of the smokehouse, make a low fire.
- When the sawdust begins to char, smoke comes out, the smoking process starts. It lasts an average of 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of the fish.
- Remove the smokehouse from the heat, open it. The dish should cool down for at least a quarter of an hour.
You cannot use coniferous sawdust for smoking, they emit resin
Important! To determine the smoking temperature, experienced chefs advise to drop a little water on the lid of the appliance. If it hisses and immediately evaporates, it is better to reduce the flame.
A quick recipe for hot smoked crucian carp
For a quick smoking recipe you will need:
- 2 kg of fresh carp;
- 80 g coarse salt;
- ground black pepper to taste.
How to cook hot smoked crucian carp:
- Do not gut the carcasses, just rinse them.
- Prepare a solution for salting carp for smoking. Then use a syringe to inject it into the fish. Dry.
- Place on a wire rack and simmer for about 1.5 hours, covered.
- Then open the smokehouse, grease each fish with vegetable oil to give a beautiful golden hue.
In the last 20 minutes, the flame can be increased to give the food a crust.
Cold smoked crucian carp recipe
Cold smoking takes much longer than hot smoking. The fish loses a lot of liquid in the process and is preserved. And you can store it for up to 4 months. The following ingredients are required for cooking:
- fresh crucian carp;
- salt - 300 g for the marinade and 100 g per 1 kg of fish;
- 2 liters of water;
- sugar - 1 tsp;
- bay leaf - 2-3 pcs.;
- black pepper - 4-5 peas.
Cold smoked crucian carp recipe:
- Gut and rinse the carcasses, rub with salt.
- Prepare the marinade by adding salt, sugar, pepper and bay leaf to the hot water.
- Put the crucian carp in a saucepan, marinate, press down with pressure.
- Refrigerate for 2 days.
- Wash off excess salt, soak in water for 2-3 hours.
- Air dry for 2 days, protected from dust and insects.
- Hang the fish in the smokehouse at least 1 m away from the flame.
- Smoke with thick smoke, keeping the temperature +30 degrees. Use briquettes for barbecue. The duration of smoking is from 1 to 3 days.
- When the crucian carp become dry, golden, elastic, with meat tightly attached to the bones, they can be taken out of the smokehouse.
Cold smoked crucians are good as an independent snack
How to smoke crucian carp at home
Correctly smoking crucian carp at home with minimal cost is a completely doable task. You can use liquid smoke or a mini smoker for this.
With liquid smoke
A nutritious and appetizing smoked dish can be prepared according to this recipe:
- 1 kg of crucian carp;
- 1 liter of water;
- 1 tbsp. salt;
- ½ tsp sugar;
- a pinch of sugar;
- lemon juice;
- liquid smoke.
How to cook:
- Grate the washed crucian carp with a mixture of salt, pepper and sugar.
- Drizzle with lemon juice.
- Put in a bag and refrigerate for a day.
- Dilute liquid smoke with water in a ratio of 1:10.
- Dip each fish in the solution for 5 seconds.
- Put on baking sheets greased with vegetable oil, send to the oven for half an hour. Set the temperature to +190 degrees.
Liquid smoke - imitation of natural smoking
In a mini smokehouse
You can smoke crucian carp at home using a small hot smoking device. For this you will need:
- 30 small crucians;
- 5 tbsp. salt;
- 2 tbsp. black pepper.
- Clean the product from the insides, remove the dark film.
- Rub with a mixture of pepper and salt.
- Leave on for 1 hour.
- Smoke in a mini-smokehouse for 30 minutes.
Scales can be removed immediately or left to remove while eating
Hot smoked fish can be stored for up to 3 days at temperatures from +3 to -3 degrees. Keep frozen for up to 30 days. Cold smoked fish remains suitable for consumption from 2 to 3 months at a temperature of +5 to -2 degrees.
Advice! It is better to wrap the dish in parchment or food foil so that it does not absorb odors.
Smoking crucian carp in a hot smoked smokehouse is a good way to prepare an independent snack for kvass or beer, or as an addition to a vegetable side dish. Covered with a beautiful ruddy crust, the dish can be a decoration for any table. The main thing is to cook and store it correctly.