We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Brunner Silver Wings is a member of the Borage family. It is a herbaceous perennial named after the Swiss traveler Samuel Brunner. There are three types of plants, but only two are grown in culture - large-leaved and Siberian. Large-leaved brunner is very decorative. Looks good in various compositions, does not require complex maintenance.
The light ends of the Brunner Silver Wings varieties of leaves are great for decorating shady corners of the garden
Description brunner large-leaved Silver Wings
The Latin name of the perennial is Brunnera macrophylla Silver Wing. The external description includes:
- The size of the bush. Low, spreading, in an adult state reaches a height of no more than 25 cm. At the time of flowering brunner increases to 40-50 cm. Branched shoots, slightly pubescent. The root system of Brunner Silver Wings is powerful.
- Leaf parameters. The plates are large, rough, round or heart-shaped. Slightly pubescent. The diameter of the leaf is 20 cm. The color is green, along the edges there are small silvery blotches. The bottom plate is painted in a grayish tone. The leaves retain their color until frost. Young leaves appear during the entire growing season, which provides Brunner with an enviable decorative effect.
- Description of flowers. Brunner's Silver Wings blooms in small buds, collected in corymbose inflorescences or a loose panicle. Diameter no more than 1 cm, color light blue, lilac, blue. No aroma. The beginning of flowering is April or May, depending on the place of cultivation. The plant has a very strong external similarity with forget-me-nots. Therefore, the popular name for large-leaved brunner is forget-me-not. Although there is a slight difference that allows not to confuse these cultures. The spot inside the Brunner flower is white, while for the forget-me-not it is yellow.
- The shape of the fruit of Brunner Silver Wings, which resembles a nut.
The plant grows slowly, eventually forming luxurious thickets. Brunner of the Silver Wings variety belongs to winter-hardy, but does not tolerate hot dry summers. Withstands temperature drop down to - 29 ° С. In one place, the Silver Wings culture can be grown for up to 15 years without transplanting.
Growing up, the bush fully demonstrates all the characteristics indicated in the description.
In order for the Silver Wings bush to grow and develop well, it must be properly planted. For this, one should take into account the conditions that are comfortable for the culture in nature. She grows in the forest, loves shade and moisture. Based on this, when landing, you will have to withstand the following conditions:
- The place should fully correspond to the preferences of the perennial. It is recommended to plant large-leaved brunner in the south in the shade to protect it from the active sun. In cool regions, partial shade or a place with shade in the afternoon is suitable. A sunny plot can be chosen only on the shore of the reservoir.
- The soil is desirable moist, clayey. The bush grows well on heavy loam. This is a great advantage of Brunner over other plants. Where many crops are not able to grow well, Silver Wings will help to ennoble problem areas of the garden. She is not afraid of fungal diseases from waterlogging of the soil or lack of sun. On too rich soil, especially fertilized with organic matter, intensive and prolonged growth of leaves occurs. This negatively affects the rhythm of the seasonal development of culture.
- Planting dates are in late July or early August. Spring is a riskier time for an event. During this period, the plant is very vulnerable. If it is necessary to plant a brunner in the spring, then this is possible only with a large clod of earth.
The place under the tree will be very good, so all conditions will be met
Important! It is recommended to combine the planting of the brunner Silver Wings with the division of the bush.
The algorithm of the procedure is simple, it can be performed by a gardener with any experience. It is best to schedule a landing for the evening or choose a cloudy day. Algorithm:
- select a healthy faded bush;
- water it, dig it out;
- cut off the ground part of the brunner;
- clean the roots from the soil;
- cut off rotten or damaged parts;
- soak the root system in water;
- prepare landing pits;
- divide the rhizome according to its natural disintegration;
- plant the dealerships in a new place;
- water the bushes.
If you can't manually cut the bush, you can use a sterile, sharp knife. Each cut should have a renewal point and a part of the rhizome. The planting site is recommended to be mulched.
Important! The root collar cannot be buried.
Any plant in the garden needs care. The decorative effect of the bush depends on what kind of care will be provided to the large-leaved brunner. The culture is considered unpretentious, no special procedures will have to be done.
The main points of care for the Silver Wings variety:
- Watering. The plant will not need regular moisture. An exception is the hot dry months, when you need to monitor the condition of the leaves. They will immediately show when it is time to water the bush. The records will start to droop. If the brunner grows on the shore of a reservoir or in partial shade, then she feels good without watering until autumn.
- Weeding. A very important event for culture. Neighborhood with weeds is unacceptable for her. At the same time, it is impossible to loosen the soil. The roots are close to the surface. Any careless movement will injure the root system.
- Mulching. It will greatly help protect the roots from the heat and retain moisture.
- Top dressing. The Silver Wings variety does not need regular nutrition. It is enough to feed the plant in early spring to stimulate the growing season. You can scatter granular complex fertilizer over the snow.
Brunner's large-leaved Silver Wings does not lose its decorative effect throughout the season. The bush is constantly renewing its foliage, it looks very fresh.
Diseases and pests
Problems in a plant can only appear in a rainy, cool summer. With an excess of moisture, Brunner is exposed to lesions of brown spot or powdery mildew.
The appearance of spots on the leaves is a signal to start flower treatment
A severe spread of fungal infection can kill the flower
The diseased parts must be removed, and the bush must be treated with a fungicide. In such weather conditions, preventive treatments with phytosporin should be carried out at intervals of 2 weeks.
Among pests, whiteflies and aphids are considered dangerous. If parasites are found, you need to treat the plant with Aktellik or Karbofos. You should also fight in the area with the spread of ants.
Regular pruning of large-leaved brunner is not necessary. Leaves do not lose their decorative effect during the growing season. But they do not die off on their own before the onset of winter. At this time, you will have to cut them to a height of no more than 10 cm from the ground.
Preparing for winter
No special preparation for the winter period is required for the plant. The frost resistance of the brunner allows you to grow the variety without shelter. It is enough to cut off the ground part. Then mulch the bush with humus, compost or peat.
Variegated forms of Brunners, to which Silver Wings belongs, are propagated by vegetative methods. These include the division of the bush. The best time for the procedure is when the flowering period ends. In August, the laying of future shoots is already taking place, so the end of summer is considered the most successful for planting debonds.
There is a sexual way of reproduction of Brunner - seeds. A very painstaking technique due to the small size of the seeds and the mandatory stratification procedure. The seeds ripen by the end of July. To provide them with good germination, you will need to sow before winter. After 3-4 months of natural stratification, shoots can be expected. For spring sowing, it is necessary to place the planting material in the refrigerator for the same time. Gardeners are in no hurry to practice sowing the Silver Wings Brunner variety. The plant reproduces well by dividing the bush. Also, self-seeding is not quite a rare phenomenon for the variety.
You can grow delenki in pots, then transplant to a permanent place.
Brunner's Silver Wings is a very ornamental crop, especially for shady areas of the garden. It will allow you to decorate problem areas where other species are not able to develop well. The variety can be grown independently, guided by the recommendations of specialists and reviews of gardeners.
Irina L. Tsurkan, 39 years old, Novocherkassk
I love my Brunner Silver Wings very much. My magic wand. There are areas where the bulk of plants are difficult to take root. Basically, these are shaded areas with clay soil. The plant keeps its shape well, so a neat, beautiful border is obtained from it. It goes well with ferns and rhododendrons.
Sergey Vasilievich Ermolenko, 41 years old, Belgorod
I am engaged in the cultivation of brunners for sale. Silver Wings is my favorite. There are always a lot of orders. The plant is unpretentious, tolerates winter well. Almost does not require watering and feeding. It gets sick very rarely, most often, due to an oversight of the owner. It propagates easily and is used to fill shady gardens.