Pickled milk mushrooms are the best way to prepare these amazingly tasty and nutritious gifts of the forest. Dense crunchy pulp, delicate mushroom aroma will become a real highlight of the table. Indeed, in fermented form, these mushrooms are most often served as an independent dish, the best side dish for which will be potatoes.
Traditional Russian pickled milk mushrooms are cooked hot or cold. To cook mushrooms correctly, you should familiarize yourself with the features of the process and a step-by-step recipe.
Features of pickling milk mushrooms
Milk mushrooms belong to the class of conditionally edible mushrooms, and therefore you cannot simply fry them in a pan. With this method of preparation, the poisons contained in them are not destroyed, such a dish can be hazardous to health.
To get rid of poisons, before cooking, they need to be cleaned of dirt, rinsed thoroughly, soaked and boiled. Only after such procedures can you prepare different dishes.
The mushroom belongs to the Syroezhkov family. Its uniqueness is that it contains vitamin D of plant origin. In addition, in terms of protein content, this species competes with meat, which means that the dishes are very satisfying and healthy.
Also, the product has a high content of vitamin PP. The chemical composition is quite rich in useful elements: ascorbic acid, calcium, iron, molybdenum, zinc, silver, cobalt, copper. In terms of the content of vitamins PP, D and calcium, the value of mushrooms is superior to butter.
In addition to these features, milk mushrooms have a healing effect. There are substances in the composition of fungi that can stop the multiplication of the bacteria Koch, which causes tuberculosis.
Before you go on a quiet hunt, you should consider some of the features of the further processing of forest gifts:
- at the slightest doubt about the edibility of mushrooms, it is better not to take them, some poisonous specimens that accidentally fell into the basket are capable of poisoning all the mushrooms that are next to them;
- the shelf life of mushrooms is very short, fresh specimens must be cooked no later than 4 - 6 hours after they were harvested;
- it is allowed to extend the storage time to 12 hours, for this the mushrooms are placed in a colander or sieve, covered with a damp cloth and sent to a refrigerator or a cool room, it is important to ensure that the fabric does not dry out completely.
Milk mushrooms have a delicate mushroom aroma. The characteristic milky juice on the fracture of the pulp has a pronounced bitterness. One of the ways to get rid of it will help: preliminary boiling or soaking.
In addition to white mushrooms in the forests, there are also black ones, similar in chemical composition.
The pickling (salting) of the mushrooms allows you to preserve all the useful substances in them, and the pretreatment allows you to get rid of the toxic components.
How to cook pickled milk mushrooms for the winter
To prepare pickled mushrooms with a light vigorous note, you can use one of the salting methods: hot or cold. Most cooks cut them into pieces before cooking, which can be conveniently pricked with a fork. Many people prefer to ferment only hats.
Whether the mushrooms will be cut or whole is a matter of taste. The main thing is to approach the cooking process correctly. Recipes for pickled milk mushrooms for the winter do not require special ingredients. Salt is used coarsely, not iodized.
Salted in cans or oak barrels, as was done in the old days. For fermentation in barrels, you need a well-equipped cellar. Spices are added to taste.
Hot fermentation consists of the following stages:
Soaking is an important step. Since milk mushrooms have dense flesh, unlike other types of mushrooms, they are soaked before fermentation for several days at room temperature. So that at the same time they do not float and are completely covered with water, a small weight is placed on top of them.
The soaking process can take up to three days. The water takes on a dark color. After a day of soaking, check for hardness, change the water and leave for another 24 hours. By the end of 3 days, the mushroom caps should not be rigid, but elastic, but at the same time maintain elasticity.
Ready-made mushrooms are crispy and firm
Important! The mushrooms are ready for the fermentation process when the water remains clear and the mushroom pulp becomes elastic.
Boil milk mushrooms in salted water. In the process, periodically remove the foam with a slotted spoon. The mushrooms are ready when they have sunk to the bottom of the pot and the water is clear. After that, they are thrown into a colander or sieve to glass the liquid.
They are placed in pre-sterilized dry jars - the product should be placed as tightly as possible. The laid layers are sprinkled with salt and spices. Garlic is cut or sent to jars in slices. The amount of spices and garlic is determined by taste.
With this method of preparation, milk mushrooms go through the stages of soaking and salting, bypassing boiling. This recipe differs from the hot method in the waiting time. The preparation process - cleaning and soaking is carried out according to the same rules as for the hot method.
Milk mushrooms, cooked without boiling, can be placed in oak barrels. Ultimately, they will take on a special scent.
For both types of fermentation, the set of products is used the same. You can change the amount and composition of spices if you wish. Experienced housewives add them "by eye".
- milk mushrooms - 10 kg;
- salt - 300 g + for cooking at the rate of 2 tbsp. l. for 1 liter of water;
- Bay leaf;
- black peppercorns;
- dill umbrellas;
- black currant leaves.
Pickled milk recipes
Hot pickling. Step by step recipe:
- Put the peeled mushrooms in a container, add water and put a load so that they remain in the water.
- Simmer in salted water on a low boil, skimming off the foam. Milk mushrooms are considered ready when they have sunk to the bottom of the pan.
- Place the milk mushrooms in a colander to drain the liquid. Pour boiling water over currant leaves and dill umbrellas. Sterilize the jars in which you plan to spread the mushrooms. Lay in layers, feet up, sprinkle with salt and spices. A can with a capacity of 3 liters requires 100 g of salt.
- Having laid tightly, press the top layer with a dill umbrella folded into a ring. Close with a plastic lid. Store in a cool place. The dish is ready in 25–35 days. You can store milk mushrooms, fermented in jars in a hot way, for 6 months.
Cold preparation method. Step by step recipe:
- Soak according to general rules. Then place them, caps down, in a bowl or dish, sprinkle with salt. Cover with a flat plate, put the load on top. The role of oppression can be performed by a can filled with water with a capacity of 3 liters.
- Boil and then cool the brine: for 1 liter of water - 3 tbsp. salt. Put the milk mushrooms tightly in prepared dry jars in layers, adding herbs and spices. Cover the top with currant leaves. Cover with cold brine.
- Close the jars with plastic lids and send them to the refrigerator. The milk mushrooms are ready in 40 - 50 days.
A quick way to cook pickled milk mushrooms.
With this method of preparation, the milk mushrooms are elastic with a slight bitterness. Currant leaves in this recipe are replaced with oak leaves.
Step by step recipe:
- Soak the mushrooms in water for a while to make them easier to peel. Put milk mushrooms into boiling salted water (2 tablespoons of salt per 1 liter of water). Add spices to the water (pepper, oak leaves, dill, garlic - optional).
- Cook until the mushrooms are immersed on the bottom and the water is clear. During cooking periodically skim off the foam. Remove the milk mushrooms with a slotted spoon, place in a colander.
- Put warm mushrooms in prepared jars. You don't need to add spices. Pour the jars to the top with water used for boiling. Close with plastic lids, shake to avoid voids. Send the cans to the refrigerator. The dish is ready in 35 - 45 days.
Calorie content of pickled milk mushrooms
General indicators for pickled milk mushrooms prepared in different ways look like this:
- preparation time - up to 3 days;
- cooking time - 1 hour;
- waiting time - 25 - 40 days;
- energy value - 17.3 kcal.
- proteins - 1.4 g;
- fats - 0.6 g;
- carbohydrates - 1.5 g.
This hearty and healthy dish has a low calorie content, which allows it to be used by those who care about their weight.
Onions will be a good addition to the dish.
Pickled milk mushrooms can be prepared in different ways. If you do everything right, then, as a result, in 1.5 - 2 months an incredibly tasty appetizer or an independent dish will appear on the table. Served cold. The best side dish will be potatoes in any form. You can use mushrooms in salads. If the finished product is too salty, you can soak it before serving.