Among gardeners, unpretentious and high-yielding varieties of cherries, which give tasty, sweet fruits, are especially popular. Therefore, the variety "Youth", which has all these and many other useful properties, can now be found in almost every garden. What you should know about this variety?
Cherry variety "Youth" was obtained in 1993 from crossing varieties Vladimirskaya and "Lyubskaya"incorporating their best qualities. This is one of the varieties of a common type of common cherries, which also include varieties "Lighthouse", "Ruska", "Morozovka" and others. "Youth" is widespread in the gardens of central Russia, the Urals, Belarus, Ukraine.
This is a self-fertile and early variety of cherries. A plant can be a bush or a tree with a slightly drooping rounded crown up to 2.5 meters high. A tree blooms in mid-May, and berries appear after 2 months. Active fruiting occurs in the fourth year. Fruits weigh up to 5 grams, they have a sweet-sour taste, a dense, juicy dark red pulp, and the bone is easily separated from it. More than ten kilograms of aromatic fruits are harvested from one adult tree of Youth Cherry. Such regular fruiting lasts up to 15-20 years of age of the plant.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
The description of this variety is not complete without listing its many advantages. Among them are the following:
- cherry flower buds tolerate frost well;
- the variety is resistant to dangerous fungal diseases - moniliosis and coccomycosis;
- the fruits are characterized by good transportability;
- since the “Youth” cherry is self-fertile, it can be planted next to late non-self-fertile varieties for pollination;
- the variety is characterized by good frost resistance and drought resistance;
- berries abound in vitamins, minerals, pectins, have a very pleasant taste.
"Youth" does not possess serious shortcomings, but it has features, without which it is impossible to fully reveal all the best qualities of culture:
- to reduce the risk of fungal infections, which can occur in warm and humid climates, the plant needs annual treatment with fungicides;
- this cherry grows best on plains with little airing;
- adult trees need annual phosphorus, nitrogen and potassium fertilizing;
- constant pruning is necessary, as the tree is prone to overgrowing.
But these shortcomings can not cross out the numerous advantages of the variety.
What kind of cherry to choose
Landing and care
Best suited to annual or biennial trees. Before planting, they are inspected, removing damaged roots, treated with a root clatter, consisting of earth and clay with water and growth substance. The best time for planting is mid-spring or early fall, as the risk of freezing trees at this time is minimal. When landing, observe the following rules:
- choose a sunny, windless plot in the south or southwest of the garden;
- groundwater should not be located above one and a half meters;
- the soil should be sandy loam with neutral acidity;
- pit dimensions: 60 cm deep; 80 cm wide;
- a couple of buckets of water should be poured into the landing pit;
- after absorbing the liquid, the wells are mulched with soil, grass, peat, sawdust;
- they fertilize the earth with humus, superphosphate, ash, potassium nitrate, lime acid soil;
- then add a ten-centimeter layer of earth from the hole;
- lower the seedling, next to which they put a stake, tie a tree to it;
- fall asleep with the earth, having condensed it and watering with settled water;
- it is important that the root collar or the site of vaccination is on par with the ground;
- complete planting by mulching with peat or humus.
Watering and feeding
"Youth" is a drought tolerant variety. It is necessary to water the cherry during flowering, with active growth, with the ripening of berries, when they can crack when the earth dries, in the fall during leaf fall.
Water consumption per tree - 4-6 buckets. At the same time, it is important that the soil passes moisture to a half-meter depth, since stagnation of water causes root decay and termination of tree growth.
After planting, young trees do not fertilize for 2-3 years, and then add organic matter every 3 years, mineral fertilizing - after 7 years. The norm of phosphates is 150-200 grams per tree, potassium substances need about three times less. They are fed in the fall when digging the soil. Nitrogen fertilizers in the amount of 50-70 grams per plant are applied in early spring.
The plant needs pruning in early spring before the buds are awakened. At the same time, dozens of branches are left, and the places of cuts are covered with garden var. Shorten the branches longer than half a meter and remove dry shoots.
During the fruiting period, branches are cut that are directed inside the crown, which contributes to better illumination of all its parts and the establishment of new fruit buds.
We also offer you to learn about the features of the Miracle cherries.
The popularity of this variety among gardeners is due to:
- its high productivity;
- resistance to various vagaries of weather;
- unpretentiousness in leaving;
- pleasant taste of berries, in which "sourness" is almost imperceptible;
- wide possibilities in the culinary sense, because this cherry does not deteriorate during transportation and can be eaten fresh, it is suitable for making compotes, jams, preserves, jellies, candied fruits, it can be dried, frozen.
How to plant a cherry
Cherry "Youth", having the appearance of a bush, decorates and diversifies the garden. Her tasty and healthy bright berries can not get bored. They can be eaten fresh, prepared for the winter and used in a variety of desserts. It is impossible to refuse such a natural delicacy!